Surgical Weight Loss
Conveniently located to serve Detroit, MI
The decision to undergo surgical weight loss can be a difficult and daunting task. Thankfully, it’s not one you have to make all on your own. Our team of physicians, nurses, and dietitians at our surgery center in Madison Heights is dedicated to providing all of our patients with comprehensive care, and that includes answering any questions and addressing any concerns they may have about surgical weight loss.
We offer a variety of options for surgical weight loss and can take the time to find the procedure that is right for you. Dr. Nicholas Sousa is a skilled and experienced fellowship-trained bariatric surgeon who has provided numerous patients in the metro Detroit community with outstanding care and results.
Options for Surgical Weight Loss
– A Sleeve Gastrectomy also known as a Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy is a common weight loss procedure. During this procedure, approximately 80 % of the stomach is removed, leaving a tube-shaped stomach about the size and shape of a banana. Long-term excess body weight loss is about 60-65 % following a Sleeve. The surgery is performed robotically through small incisions. The patient typically spends one night in the hospital and goes home in the morning. Learn More
– A Gastric Bypass is a surgery for weight loss that has a restrictive component like the Sleeve Gastrectomy but also adds an additional malabsorption component which increases weight loss. Long-term excess body weight loss is usually 65-70 % following a Bypass. A Gastric Bypass is an excellent option for patients with metabolic syndromes and Diabetes Mellitus Type 2. The surgery is performed robotically through small incisions. The patient typically spends one night in the hospital and goes home in the morning.
– The SADS is an excellent procedure that provides a 70-80 % loss of excess body weight. Similar to a Gastric Bypass, a SADS has both a restrictive and malabsorption component of weight loss. Unlike Gastric Bypass, patients who have SADS do not have an increased risk of marginal ulcers and internal hernias. The SADS has the weight loss benefits of the bypass without the unwanted side effects. Dr. Sousa is one of the few surgeons performing the Single Anastomosis Duodenal Switch in Michigan. The surgery is performed robotically through small incisions. The patient typically spends one night in the hospital and goes home in the morning.
– These are surgical procedures that are performed on patients who have already undergone a form of Bariatric Surgery, and have either had complications from their surgery or have not successfully achieved significant weight loss results from the initial surgery. Dr. Sousa will take the time to meet with the patient and understand their past experience. Dr. Sousa and the patient will then make a plan so that the patient can achieve their desired outcome. Learn More
– A lap-band is an inflatable silicone device placed around the top portion of the stomach to treat obesity and is intended to decrease food consumption. Learn More
Choosing the Right Surgeon
If you are interested in surgical weight loss, it is important that you choose a surgeon who has undergone extensive professional training in the field of bariatric surgery. Dr. Sousa is fellowship-trained in both bariatric and minimally invasive general surgery and has been endorsed by the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgeons. He has the skill and experience needed to perform bariatric surgery and focuses on ensuring the health and safety of our patients.
The Cost of Bariatric Surgery
Bariatric surgery is a highly personalized procedure. A custom surgical plan is created for each individual patient. Price will vary based on multiple factors like the type of procedure performed. During your consultation, Dr. Sousa can take the time to address any questions you may have regarding cost, insurance, and payment options.
Schedule a Consultation
If you are ready to start your weight loss journey and would like to know if surgical weight loss is the right choice for you, contact our office located near Detroit to schedule a consultation with Dr. Sousa. Our team is dedicated to providing you with the comprehensive care you need.
Your procedure will be performed in Dr. Sousas’s surgery center located in Madison Heights, MI, just outside of Detroit.